Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Birthday News

Hello Friends,

So...this has been a rough few weeks. I had to go in for some exams because my body was not...behaving the way that it was supposed to. I was having a lot of pain and no one could figure out why exactly that was happening.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks. I had an ultrasound on Friday and they found out that my IUD was sitting too low in my uterus. Obviously the choice was to take it out.

Yesterday I went to my Primary Care Physician and she tried...twice. The thing wouldn't budge. So, after consulting with other doctors she reached the conclusion that the IUD was probably embedded in either my cervix or uterus. She sent me to the hospital today to see a gynecologist. Always a great way to start one's birthday. So, I went to the hospital at 8:30 AM and proceeded to have another doctor go spelunking into my nether-regions.

I am lucky because both doctors are really fantastic, but unfortunately the OBGYN didn't have any more luck. After a long period of adjusting and tugging, the thing wouldn't come out. We tried numbing me (nothing like a giant needle to the cervix on your birthday) and then some more pulling...but sadly no dice.

The long and short of it is that I have to have surgery. The concern is that the IUD has somehow shifted and is now lodged in my uterus. I'm going to go in on Friday afternoon and they will try a more non-invasive procedure first (with me completely put under) and then a slightly more invasive one if that doesn't succeed.

I-I am of two minds, really. I was in a hideous amount of pain today while they were trying, but it got to a point where I was growling at the doctor to just do it because “I can take it”. Because I really just wanted to be done with feeling so miserable. And I'm scared of surgery.

But...surgery it is. There isn't a choice. I am really nervous, really frightened, but I am trying to keep a good headspace about it.

Still, please send good thoughts my way? I'm trying to keep away from being completely freaked out. I'm going to have some good food, have some champagne tonight for my birthday, and just try to be happy.

Thank you to my friends and my incredible husband for being so sweet and taking such good care of me. I'll update as soon as I can.

All the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment