Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fanon vs. Canon (Part II)

Hello again, Friends.

You may have guessed from the title of my last post that I had a feeling that it was going to end up being longer than one entry. Well, I was proven right when Husband read the blog post the night I wrote it. He and I ended up having an hour long conversation about fanon versus canon, as well as copyright laws, and at what point a writer should step away from his or her work.

One of Husband's biggest concerns related to an idea that I had touched on a little bit in my previous post. I mentioned the question of “cultural heritage”. When does something cease to belong to the creator or originator and instead become the “property” of the community at large.

I think the best way to talk about this once again concerns George Lucas. I maintain what I said in my previous post in that I do think that ultimately while he did approve the books and the extended universe...it's still his universe. As such, while movies 1-3 don't “count” for me on a personal, fangirl level, I can cede that they are “official” canon and I respect that. However, where I cannot condone what Lucas has done is with the old movies.

I grew up on the VHS versions of Star Wars. You know, the ones where Han shot first and Hayden Christianson is nowhere to be seen at the end of Return of the Jedi. Going back and “fixing” those movies is shameful for me and a good example of where a creator should realize that their work no longer simply belongs to them. What if Rowling went back and took Harry's decision to die for the cause and instead had him Avada Kedavra'd while trying to run away? What if Michael Curtiz went back and made Bogey and Ilsa run away together? Or if instead of the incredible color saturation the moment Dorothy walked into Oz EVERYTHING was in color just because we can. Or, in another prominent example from my childhood, what if Spielburg went back and made all the dinosaurs CGI in Jurassic Park because we can do that now?

To borrow a line from that very movie: “...your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.”

If Mr. Lucas wants to do prequels that discount the canon that had been established...I don't really get it but it's within his rights. Ultimately, changing the movies is too. But just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. He's trying to change something ingrained in our culture to please himself and I don't think that's fair or necessary. The originals were awesome just as they were. We care about the story, George, not how pretty you can make it. 
 
All of this also brought up the question of collaboration. The extended Star Wars universe was something that George Lucas wasn't the biggest contributor to. The writers, illustrators, and designers who had a part in fleshing out that universe are as much a part, if not more, of Star Wars than the man himself and they deserve respect for the copious amounts of work that they have done. And as far as I know Lucas had to approve everything they did. So here's my question: there was this fantastic set of stories and art that you approved and fans accepted as canon why didn't you just use that? Instead of railroading what your contributors did, why not make an effort to work it into movie canon better?

When I asked this, Husband asked if I would be willing to let people collaborate on my world and you know what? Yes, I would...but with one caveat. I know where I want my central story to go, for the most part. It is a constantly evolving creature and that's just fine, but I do have a sense of the overall arc. I would love to let people into my world to play...but only after I was certain that the main story was told. It's an issue of pragmatism for me. I want to be certain of the story and don't want anything getting confused. I want to keep continuity as tight as I possibly can.

In the case of George Lucas, I understand that he wasn't originally planning on making more movies and that's part of how the extended universe came to be. But once he decided to continue, again, why not try to use the canon that already existed? It was a better story and one that stayed true to the characters and world that the fans love so deeply.

What would happen if we took the George Lucas approach to all art? Part of what makes art unique and lasting are the things about it that aren't “perfect”? CGI space-ships are a dime a dozen; give me an old-school Star Destroyer any day. Trust me to draw my own conclusions. Trust in your original vision and don't get lured in by how “modern” or “pretty” you can make something. The story should come before the trappings, yes? You make a cake first and then decorate it. Otherwise all you have is a pile of sugary frosting with no substance.

Give me substance over style any time.

I'm not sure we've really “answered” anything here and I'm ok with that. This has more been a long exercise in thinking/writing for me.

Conclusion-type things: Well, I think that Canon and Fanon are both important. I guess maybe the most important thing is that I do think that there is a point when, as an artist, you have to just let something go. Focus on improving your future work rather than constantly messing with what you have already done.

...hopefully I'll get better at taking my own “advice” in that regard as I mature as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment