Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Small freak out

Yeesh, I am going to drive myself crazy. I mean, that's ok...that's a writer thing, right?

Ok, so you may have gathered from my post title that I am feeling a little overwhelmed. My fantasy series is just...there's so much. It is such a big world and I am suddenly finding myself doubting my ability to put it all on a page and have it come out as anything other than an incoherent mess. I have outlined up one side and down the other and written a lot but I just feel like I will never get it done.

I think some of this is that I'm almost done with book 3 of ASOIAF (which I'd never read before this year) and I am blown away by the sheer scope of G.R.R. Martin's world. I find myself looking at what he's done and going: “yep, there's no way I could ever do anything like that”. And on the one hand that's ok. I don't want to tell his story, I want to tell mine. The EBR is very different from Westeros, even though they both share some “Epic Fantasy” traits. However, one of the similarities is that scope (big world, lots of characters, lots of cultures and settings) and I am just scared that nothing I could ever do could share that mastery.

I need to just write, which is part of why I decided to take a few minutes to blog. It actually helps me start putting words on a page and get past my fear of completely failing and just do my damn job.

I am just...doubting myself right now. I have a wonderful support system in my life and have had a number of people tell me how much they like Dragon Touched and I just-I don't want to let anyone down.

Thanks for listening, friends. I doubt this will be the last post where I freak out.

Ok...Time to take a deep breath and work. I will never get better if I don't practice, practice, practice. “Quantity produces quality”, right Mr. Bradbury?

Here's hoping!


No comments:

Post a Comment