Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Thanks for making yourselves heard

Dear Characters,

I know that I bitch at you a LOT. I know that you have heard me say: “I made you, I can unmake you” more times than is probably healthy. However, I have to tell you that days like today remind me why I love you all enough to put myself through writing about your exploits. Today one of you reminded me of something really, really important:

Sometimes I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I know this might be concerning, coming from the person who is presumably telling your story, and I'm really sorry. The thing is, I have known quite a few of you for a long time. Like any relationship...you start taking shortcuts. You assume that you know things. You label people. Today you guys reminded me that I really need to stay open and pay attention to who you all are.

I try so hard to keep focused and directed, but days like today remind me of how much this is a process of discovery for me...no matter how many outlines, timelines, and maps I ever make. People are complicated and it's easy to forget that.

So, in short, thank you for the deeply humbling experience of being reminded that I really don't have all the answers. Thanks for making writing like pulling hens teeth this morning so that I could keep asking myself what was wrong. Thanks for arguing when I am writing you wrong.

That being said...some of you are just plain creepers. Sorry, but I had to put it out there. Obviously this means that I am a creeper too, but I've made my peace with that. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment